Monday, June 30, 2008

Absolutely Twitterific!

Twittering, twitterers, twitrelease, twitterstream. No, I am not crazy and these are not words I just made up. They actually have a lot to do with public relations. The online social network moves fast, but public relations pros need to move faster.

If you haven't joined Twitter or even heard of it, you are not moving fast enough. Twitter is a service that lets you see updates online from friends, family, and co-workers. Updates have to be made in 140 words or less. However, Twitter is so much more than this. It's also a marketing/public relations tool that many public relations professionals use. You can get a product or service out to the masses quickly, it's simple, and most important, FREE. For example, Verizon Wireless used Twitter to market their new service, Verizon FiOS Internet. They did this by creating "Twittering Teddy", an animatronic bear that uses text-to-speech software to read your friends', family's, and co-workers' Twitter updates aloud to you. It was auctioned off yesterday for $212.50 and the money is going to the Homeless Children's Education Fund. But you don't have to manufacture a talking teddy bear to use Twitter. Just come up with a username, sign up, and start twittering!

But not only is it a marketing tool, it is a networking service as well. Twitter lets you see what other people in your profession are doing to succeed. It may give you a good idea if your stuck on something and if not, you can always ask for advice and people will respond. It's a free help service. Plus, a lot of people will put their blog web address or websites on Twitter and let you know when it's updated. You don't even need to subscribe to their RSS. Just follow them on Twitter!

Todd Defren, in his blog "PR-Squared," even goes so far as to say that a "PR person MUST become an active Twitter user if they want to have a meaningful career." He says that Twitter helps with personal branding, knowledge, and relationships. All three of those things are important in the public relations field.

"All the world's a-twitter", are you? If you decide to join, my username is IheartPR_5. Follow me and you can see my updates on your Twitter page or you can see them right here on my blog (see below on the right). I want to be successful when I begin my public relations career and hopefully, this will help me get a leg up on my competition when I start applying for internships and jobs.

SONG OF THE DAY: Simple Plan-When I'm With You
Today's Scripture: "I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you" (Psalm 32:8).
*imastar*

No comments: